I picked up a drill press stand for my vintage 1970s era Dremel Moto-Tool a couple of months ago. I found one at a decent price on EBay and bought it to do a better job on the bolster holes. I had used the Dremel for this task previously in a free-hand mode, but some holes were drilled at a slight angle introducing a slight lean to completed models. I needed to do better.
It’s a model 210 of the Dremel Moto-Tool drill press. The tool is fit into round clamps and the table moves up and down. It certainly is not a heavy-duty set up but just enough to complete the tasks at hand.
Here’s the set up. A piece of 1×3 is used on the drill press table so the drill bit has soft material when it completes the hole in the resin underframes. My Dremel pre-dates the variable speed versions so a dimmer switch was wired to half of an outlet on a junction box to adjust the drill speed. A foot switch is also available but I had these materials at hand.
An old kit box keeps the Dremel accessories handy. A #50 bit is installed in the tool and a beeswax cake is nearby to lubricate the bit after drilling several holes. A small ruler and scribe are handy to mark the center point of bolster pads that do not have a dimple. Connect the corners of the square pad to create an X and impress a starter dimple at the cross point to locate a bolster hole. Eye protection is just out of the image to the left and needs to be used for any motor tool work.
Since I set this up to drill holes in a Yarmouth Model Works kit, I decided to break out a few more kits and get this task out of the way. Eight resin freight car kits now have bolster holes and are ready to be tapped for a 2-56 screw.
Thanks for visiting the blog. Share a comment in the section below. Please follow the instructions so your comment can be posted. All comments are reviewed and approved before they appear. To subscribe to this blog, enter your info for a comment and check the last box to notify of new posts by email. Please share the blog link with other model railroaders.